MOPS MObile, Privacy, and Security Research Group
What We Do
Our research group focuses on various topics around mobile, privacy, and security. Our group does research on security and privacy controls on mobile devices and security and privacy issues in embedding computing (IOT). We also perform research and work on projects involving mobile applications. We are an undergraduate research team at Baldwin Wallace University within the Computer Science department. If you are interested in our work or are a student and would like to join our team, please Contact Us.
Who We Are
- Brian Krupp - Faculty Advisor
- Dan Fitzgerald
- Malik Matthews
- Joshua Hadden
- Dylan Johnson
- Terrell McDowell
- Julia Gersey
- Emily Timko '20 (EMPAware)
- Kyle Cox '20 (EMPAware)
- Billy Hicks '20 (EMPAware)
- Malik Bursey '20 (EMPAware)
- Chris Banfield '20 (EMPAware)
- Yongzhe Wang (EMPAware)
- Briana Laszlo (EMPAware) '20
- Dan Jesensky '18 (SPEProxy and EMPAware)
- Amanda Szampias '18 (SPEProxy)
- Tyler Rupert '18 (Tready)
- Kurt Wolfe '18 (Tready and EMPAware)
- Georgina Hasrouni '18 (Tready)
- Jacob Thornberry (EMPAware)
- Conner Hartup (EMPAware)
- Bryan Istenes (Tready)
Interdisciplinary research project funded by the EPA to help reduce food waste and hunger on college campuses.More Coming Soon!
Research project to provide users with Enhanced Mobile Privacy (EMP) awareness in how apps use their data.Go to Project
A research project to provide enhanced mobile security and privacy controls to users.More Info
Below are pictures of the research groups with their posters.
- Our research on "An Analysis of Web Tracking Domains in Mobile Applications" was accepted to the 13th ACM Web Science Conference 2021 (WebSci'21) WebSci 2021
- Presented our research on "EMPAware: Analyzing Changes in User Perceptions of Mobile Privacy on iOS with Enhanced Awareness" at the 7th ACM International Workshop on Security and Privacy Analytics IWSPA 2021
- Our research was recently highlighted in several news stories: News Channel 5 and Spectrum News.
- We were recently awarded a grant from the EPA P3 program to research how to reduce food waste and hunger using a mobile solution. EPA News Release News Story
- Interview with Cleveland.com on Mobile Payment Solutions View Article
- Opinion Posted on Columbus Dispatch on Facebook article
- Presented our research paper on Tready, an open source home security project. More information can befound here
- Our research appeared on Is your smartphone listening to your conversations?
- Our research appeared on 14 News Special Report: Spying Phone
- Our research appeared on Academic Minute
- Research group interviewed on Channel 19 on mobile privacy issues: 15 popular apps Baldwin Wallace University found sells your personal data without permission
- Interviewed for story on #DeleteFacebook Movement Facebook Scandal
- Talked on Sound of Ideas on WCPN about the #DeleteFacebook Movement Facebook Backlash - Sound of Ideas WCPN
- Story published on our research in mobile privacy: How to stop phone apps from spying on you
- Presented our research at IEEE UEMCON. Paper available here.
- Article on our research: Researchers Expose Secret Misuse of Personal Data by Mobile Apps, Create Solution to Help Consumers
- Article on our research in CACM: Researchers Expose Secret Misuse of Personal Data by Mobile Apps, Create Solution to Help Consumers
- Article on Research Published: STUDENT, FACULTY RESEARCHERS EXPOSE SECRET MISUSE OF PERSONAL DATA BY MOBILE APPS
- Our request for Google Cloud Platform credits via the Google Cloud Platform Education Grants program has been approved!